top of page
Our Team


Charles E. Smith Immigration Law Office is conveniently located in downtown Columbus, Ohio. The practice is dedicated to immigration law and offers FREE in person and telephone initial consultations.  There is a Spanish interpreter available daily and by appointment on Saturday.


Whether you desire a family or work-based green card, non-immigrant visa, waiver of inadmissibility, applying for citizenship, attending an interview, in removal proceedings, appealing the denial of your visa, a victim of crime, or looking to take advantage of the various paths to obtain permanent resident status in the U.S.




Charles E. Smith's nationwide immigration practice focuses on the following areas of Immigration Law:

Family/Marriage Visa

Citizenship and Naturalization

Removal Defense

Work Visa

Permanent Visa


Consular Processing

The procedure for an intending immigrant to obtain Lawful Permanent Residence or a “green card” in the United States is called Consular Processing.   Once the petition for a family member residing abroad has been approved, the next step will be for the priority date of the approved petition to become current.  For immediate relatives of U.S. citizens, the priority date will become current immediately and you will be notified by United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (“USCIS”) that your case has been transferred to the National Visa Center in Portsmouth, New Hampshire.  For family members of a Lawful Resident there will be a mandatory wait time.

Contact Us


614 962 4919


Columbus Office
1339 East Broad Street

Columbus, OH 43205



Your details were sent successfully!


Family Petition

One of the most common issues in immigration law is how a US Citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident can petition for lawful resident status or what is commonly referred to as a “green card” for their family member.  This issue can be complex depending on whether the family member is currently residing in the United States or if they are residing abroad.  Also, if the family member has any prior illegal entries into the U.S., has previously overstayed a temporary visa for over six months, or committed a crime in the U.S., a waiver of inadmissibility may be required.  If any of those issues apply consider consulting with an experienced immigration attorney, so that you are aware of the challenges your family member will face when applying for a green card.

bottom of page